Communication in Collaborative Works – Coding for Good

Coding for good is a service that programs different sorts of computer programs that the school departments require that is not too advanced for students to carry out. In the service, I work in a team with some grade 9s and 10s to create a webpage game for a school service called migrant trail which is a story game that leads the player through a life of forced migrants from Africa to Europe.

The main challenge for me in the service is to communicate with a group of people which is essential for collaborative works that I don’t have many links with since none of the group members were grade 11 and others all know someone from the group from other things. As a complete stranger to the service and project group, it took me some time and effort to let myself settle in and play my role as a programmer in the team. At first, I wasn’t too active in the discussions of the group causing me to lag behind in some decision makings because I don’t really want to interrupt other’s conversations when I don’t know them that well. Gradually, I approached the group members with things that may interest them outside the service, which just so happen that we share some similar hobbies, so we could get to know each other better. With the communication barrier eliminated, I could work with my group smoother than before as I have no hesitation when I am trying to communicate an idea or concern to other group members to make our collaborative work go smoother.

Upon doing the service for 3 seasons, I have learned a lot of communication skills as I need to communicate with many different people as not everyone stays in the service for the whole year. My gradual progression in my communication skills boosts my collaborative work efficiency which helps my group’s work go forward faster in order to cast more awareness on the world’s looming refugee problems.

Published inCASIBService

Be First to Comment