Preparing for the unexpected in service

It’s often quite frustrating for me to adapt to a sudden change of plans after I have spent a lot of time planning it quite extensively. Yet, this was the case with the session before the winter break as we had a lesson to present to our service partners but no one to present it. As I had initially planned, this was going to be a lesson on google sheets presented by two grade tens. My rationale behind this was simple- they should go at the end as this would allow them to observe the grade elevens do it first. In hindsight this may have seemed fine but in reality, this presented its own challenge, grade tens had mocks during that week, consequently, we had no one to present the lesson. Completely surprised by the situation, it actually took me a while to figure out a solution to the problem, I figured since everyone seems to enjoy Kahoots so much, we might as well teach them how to make one for themselves. So that was it. We spent roughly an hour creating kahoots with our pairs and then playing them together. It could be argued that it wasn’t the best use of time and probably didn’t help them learn anything different. Regardless, we were able to fill up the time with an engaging activity for an hour and I guess that’s what counts.