Back to the Future Unit Reflection

I think that this unit has been a great opportunity, personally, to gain some insight and clarity into the skills we may need in the future and the outlook we should have when starting this process. An area which, I think, I learned the most in was the idea of networking because a lot of the time, we hear the concept being thrown around a lot in discussions about the future and we are told its importance without truly understanding how to do it. Through our class activities, I think that I was able to gain some insight into the skill that is networking and how to do it effectively depending on the context. I found this experience to be very useful and is something that I will definitely remember and carry with me as I enter the next stages of my education and job hunting.

Another area which I found to be quite interesting was conflict management in the workplace. Initially, I hadn’t given much thought towards the different ways we can approach conflict management in a professional setting but over the course of this unit, I found the importance of learning about it. I think that because when we are starting out in the workplace, we are in a position of low authority with many people helping guide and instruct us. Because of this, we want to ensure that we have the skills to politely and professionally question decisions and viewpoints without it escalating to the scale of a larger conflict. As a result, I think that learning about conflict management indirectly provided us with the skills we may need to go about the workplace setting and improve our relationships with future colleagues or bosses.

Overall, I think that this unit was a great learning opportunity for me to not only learn and understand new skills which I will bring with me into the workplace, but also to reflect on the skills that I have now and how I can showcase and build upon them in the future.

1 Comment on Back to the Future Unit Reflection

1. tsw@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg
    January 20, 2021 at 2:58 am (3 years ago)

Great reflections Anoushka. I am glad you can see the value of networking and conflict management!

Reply