Elena’s Phone Call to a Friend after Izzy’s Bold Concert

This is the dialogue of a phone call between Elena and her friend just after watching Izzy’s concert. Izzy wrote “NOT YOUR PUPPET” on her forehead and looked straight at her mum whilst on stage.

Elena: I’ve had enough of Izzy. You’re not going to believe the stunt she’s pulled this time.

Friend: Hey, what did she do?

Elena: She humiliated me in front of everyone at her music concert. She humiliated our whole family, actually. She wrote “NOT YOUR PUPPET” across her forehead with thick black marker and looked straight at me whilst on stage, for everyone to see. She’s doing what she always does, overreacting and causing a scene.

Friend: Why would she do that? Did you say something to her before the concert?

Elena: She wanted to wear this horrible outfit to the recital which made her look like a goth hipster so I told her to change. Is that so unfair? I didn’t want all of those people to see her wearing that, what would they think?

Friend: She’s just lashing out and trying to get back at you, thats what teenagers do.

Elena: I didn’t think I did anything wrong to begin with. I did what a mother should, I gave her advice. I helped her. That outfit would have embarrassed the whole family and she would have regretted it.

Friend: Izzy wants you to react this way. I think she is just trying to be bold.

Elena: As per usual. I just don’t understand, how can I have two daughters who are so different to each other? Lexie has always done what she’s told. She is organised, sociable, polite and dresses well. Izzy, on the other hand, I don’t see myself in her at all. It’s like I don’t know how to be her mother.

Friend: What are you going to do about Izzy?

Elena: Everything I can to keep her in check. I’ll keep a closer eye on her than the others. I need to be able to know where she is, what she is doing and who she is with on hand. Maybe this way I’ll understand why she’s acting like this. At the moment, all I know is that it is unnecessary and exhausting.

Friend: Have you thought of becoming closer to her or trying to be her friend?

Elena: I’m her mother, I should be able to tell her what to do without having to face hesitation or disobedience. Especially when all I asked was for her to simply change her outfit. I don’t ask much of my children, I just ask that they listen. Izzy is becoming more and more difficult by the minute. Sometimes I feel like I only have one daughter. I need to get a grip.

Friend: Don’t worry Elena. You’ll know what to do, you always do.