Reflection 1: Pottery

To fulfil the creativity aspect of my IB programme, I have decided to take on pottery. This will be a completely new learning opportunity for me as I have no previous experience in this area of art. Although this is what will make pottery a challenge for me, it is also what made me keen to sign up for it. I am determined to incorporate as many new experiences and activities as I can in my remaining 2 years of high school to widen my horizons and develop new skills to be used in the future. I have always enjoyed participating in hands on activities which allow me to express myself in ways which I may not be able to on a daily basis. I feel that pottery will be a great opportunity for me to showcase and expand my creativity, as well as socialise with new people who share a similar interest.

As I have yet to develop the skills required to produce ‘desirable’ ceramic pieces, I feel that maintaining motivation in this activity may be tough at times. Collaborating with my peers who have experience with pottery will assist my learning as they will offer a helping hand in developing the skills and techniques used in pottery. Furthermore, they will make the experience more enjoyable by creating a sociable, comfortable environment. In this activity I want to push myself and my learning to the point where I can honestly say that I am proud of the new skills I have learnt and maybe even mastered. In addition to this, I want to use pottery as a way to stay connected to my school community and meet new people. I am hoping it will be beneficial in the sense that it is a change of scenery and a break from heavy academics as I strongly feel that it is important to have a mental rest every now and then.

The learning outcomes I have chosen to focus on are;

LO4 – Show commitment and perseverance in CAS experiences

LO5 – Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively