Pottery Reflection 3

LO5

LO4

LO1

In the spur of the moment, my friend Dylan and I decided to work together and make a statue of a gremlin instead of my pot. This decision was inspired by a bear looking statue that my friend saw walking in, and I suggested making a gremlin. I started making the eyes and he started making the body and face. After a while, I found myself falling into the trap of wanting perfection and kept restarting and getting more frustrated. I then just decided to use what I had – probably the biggest lesson I learned from pottery. I think this lesson is significant as it signifies how whenever I do something creative, I always want it to be perfect and end up becoming so engaged in the project, that I don’t stop until I’m satisfied. I learned from pottery a unique lesson that I could only learn due to how bad I was at it. I learned that if you just work with what you have, and don’t get so caught up in it being perfect, I project turns out better and the process is more fun. (this probably only applies to me as I don’t do pottery professionally).

After working on making the gremlin, I realized that it started to look like a minion. This is when our creativity shifted and we started working on that. From this, I learned how fun being creative can actually be when you don’t take yourself too seriously. This is our final product: