Willing Hearts Soup Kitchen – 6.10.2019

This being the second experience in the service, I was more aware of what we as volunteers were expected to do. This kitchen being almost all voluntary based – there aren’t many people or “authoritative figures” who assign you tasks. The whole aim of this organization is to volunteer because you want to and I respect that value of the organization they uphold. It requires you to show self-initiative in a task you want to do. There aren’t many supervisors to overlook what time you clock in and out either which induces a sense of responsibility in the volunteers. This experience taught me the importance of rationing out food and it symbolized the lack of equal food distribution. It also required a lot of coordination and teamwork between the different people doing various tasks and instilled in me how when one person lacks in speed or ability, the other “team” members are often held responsible for them. It taught me the importance of how the phrase “to each his own ” is much less efficient than when everyone works together as a whole. A member in my team having problems in the last step of packing up the boxes caused a “jam” in our food packing queue. This made our whole process slow down and if we hadn’t hurried it up, we probably would’ve been there for much longer. I was reassigned to help him pack up the boxes to eliminate the jam so we could continue working efficiently and effectively. While I was away, my team member had to take on an additional role and these changes in assignments and roles taught me that its okay to not have to burden yourself and feel like you have to do everything solely on your own and how help and assistance sometimes can be more efficient in getting the job done. I also understood that it’s more important to look at the whole picture and the entirety of the team than not asking for help because of a big ego (for example). Unfortunately, I was unable to continue this activity due to the circuit breaker period. 

Any proof required that I attended this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yTTor3KdataEOjYK6h7EQeRtzkICuYum/view?usp=sharing