This lockdown, and the current pandemic, have lasted a long time and have been hard on many people across the globe. However, the crisis has also revealed many things about our societies and our current economic and social models. There is a lot of potential for learning in this crisis, and I would like to reflect on some of the issues that have been brought to light, and the issues I have learnt more about due to the pandemic.

• The economy- essential workers, business models, and more

One of the major points of discussion and anxiety during this crisis has been the economy. Thanks to the pandemic, most countries have gone into lockdown. Travel between countries has slowed to a halt, and all sorts of businesses- restaurants, clothing stores, car companies, luxury goods producers, and more- have all been greatly affected. I think this reminded all of us how connected our world has become. many of us are so used to flying somewhere else for conferences and events or going for a vacation to another faraway country. It has also brought attention to the importance of essential workers- doctors, cleaners, factory workers, those working in the service industry, and many more. These groups have been overlooked for quite a long time, and while it’s good that the pandemic helped to showcase their importance, it’s a little sad that it took this long. Finally, with all the shutdowns of businesses, the economy has slowed greatly, leaving many jobless. While some governments have dealt with the economic fallout quite well, others haven’t, and this has lead to huge problems for the lower class and the vulnerable.

I think the biggest learning from this for me is that we may need to change the way think about our economic systems in the future. Countries and governments need to be prepared to deal with widespread crises that could affect the economy and find ways to deal with them. This may also involve multiple countries working together to find solutions for international industries and corporations. I also think the way our businesses work will be greatly impacted by our time in lockdown- possibly less travel for conferences or meetings, and more flexible working conditions, which could actually be beneficial for many!

• Society- increase in xenophobia and “othering” of different groups

Unfortunately, on the social side, not everything has been so positive. While there have been many heartwarming stories of neighbours bonding and people supporting each other during this time, there have also been some terrible incidents. For example, there has been an increase in xenophobia and racism, particularly towards Asian minorities. In the US and Europe, there have been incidents of Asians who have been spat on or beat up, and even politicians like Donald Trump make casually racist remarks about the origin o0f the virus. But it isn’t just in Europe and America- in fact, it’s much closer to home than we think. Just a few weeks ago, over 700 “illegal immigrants”, including many Rohingya refugees, were round up and put in detention centres, after many calls by Malaysian citizens and groups to control and detain them. Even in Singapore, a more subtle form of “othering” is taking place, with migrant worker cases being counted separately from community transmissions. While this may not have arisen out of any bigoty o0r xenophobia, it does deepen the divide between “real” Singaporean locals and these migrant workers.

As much as I love the stories of solidarity I’ve seen on social media, these instances are absolutely heartbreaking and cannot be ignored. I think this pandemic has brought certain issues to light and brought out society’s biases. Following this pandemic, governments across the globe, including the Singaporean government, need to work on the integration and inclusion of minorities.

• Individuals- Family relationships, habits and self-care/mental health

Due to lockdown, many people have been forced to stay at home with their families for months on end. This, along with the increased time to oneself to think and reflect, has caused many to learn a lot more about their family and themselves. Many people on social media reported their surprise at hearing their partner in “work-mode” since they had never seen them or heard them at work. However, many families and close friends were separated due to these lockdowns, and have had to come up with different, creative ways to celebrate important events and maintain contact. I also can’t go without mentioning those who have been forced to stay with abusive families or partners during the lockdown. Overall, many individuals and families have suffered thanks to the pandemic, but most still understand the need and importance of quarantine.

There has also been a focus on individual learning and taking care of one’s mental health. Many people have started documenting their stories and learning from the pandemic in the form of journals, documentaries, photo essays, and so much more. Others have taken on activities such as meditation to stay calm and keep their mental health in check during the pandemic.

Overall, I think this pandemic has forced many of us to reevaluate and learn more about ourselves and our relationships.  I think coming out of this, we may be able to better appreciate our close relationships, and will hopefully be able to apply what we have learnt about ourselves to real life.

This pandemic has been nothing short of hell for many. It has both united individuals and nations, as well as divide us. However, I think it’s safe to say that nothing will truly, ever be the same after this pandemic passes. Even if it’s cheesy, it’s the truth. And there will be consequences to this pandemic, both good and bad. However, my greatest hope is that, somehow, as societies and individuals, we don’t forget the lessons we have learnt from this crisis, and instead use those lessons to move forward. I really, really hope this is possible.