Object #1: kurta (phirans) with Kashmiri embroidery

The pictures above include my mom, sister, and I when we were in Kashmir in 2012. 

My IA prompt is: Are some types of knowledge more useful than others?

Above is a picture of one of my Mother in a traditional Kashmiri Phiran (pheran), which has Kashmiri embroidery. It is a unisex garment and is often worn during the winter seasons as it’s woolen and keeps you protected from the cold. As many know, Kashmir is now under a heavy military lockdown, with communications and media blackouts, curfew, and other restrictions. The Phiran has been used as a symbol of resistance by Kashmiri’s who feel misrepresented and targeted. In 2018, a ban was placed on the education department against wearing the Phiran, which was then reversed following public outcry. It was also recommended that no official visits could be made when wearing a phiran. Kashmiri’s protested sharing images of them in their Phirans and explaining the significance it has to them. This relates to the usefulness of knowledge as it shows that even a piece of clothing has a lot of significance and knowledge that can be acquired from it. In this case, a Phiran is a form of self-expression and a part of Kashmiri’s identities. It can be considered a cultural symbol for a community of knowers who have experienced oppressive laws. This information isn’t widely available partially due to the media blackout and restrictions. I feel that this knowledge is useful specifically for people interested in this topic but I also feel that this information is important for raising awareness about current global issues. As an Indian- Kashmiri this information is incredibly useful to me so that I can better understand the situation which is taking place in Kashmir. (262 words).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46632982