Response to ” We should all be Feminists Ted Talk”

1. Adichie talked about the concept of “western ideals” and how feminism wasn’t considered African (or Nigerian), even though in its essence feminism is about equality, irrespective of ethnicity. I often see that in India, when talking to people there, bringing up topics like these is sometimes met with the response is “Oh your international school beliefs” or “so western”. I find it interesting because the conversation of gender equality is had all over the world, but the pace is what makes the difference. Traditionally countries (especially ones that have been colonised) seem to have this view that western cultures are very progressive, and that in our own home countries it would not be attainable to be as progressive. She also talked about how feminism was also used as a pejorative term. In middle school (and sometimes still) there was a negative insinuation that a feminist was loud, independent, rude, and angry, it was also often switched with the term feminazi. Noticeably however being called a “feminist” was often told to the young girls who spoke their minds, or weren’t trying to get male attention. Somehow a word that was meant to symbolise the equality of the sexes was used to press women. This was a cultural experience for women all around the world. Adichie talked about how culture is everchanging and affected by our actions, that we make culture and not the other way around. I think that was very powerful as often the phrase “But it’s in our culture” is thrown around as an excuse.

2. I agree with Adichie in that I think the definition of feminism is a man or women who advocate for gender equality and empower women. I think Men can also be feminist. I believe I am a feminist however when it is used with a negative tone, part of me wants to reject that label, as the definition in those cases is not about quality, rather about putting down one gender, or it insinuates hatred towards men.

3.I  believe Adichie that “culture does not make people, people make culture” is only partly true, as we are products of the culture we are brought up in. The culture we grow up in affect how we are as people, however, I think that people can make culture too. As our beliefs evolve and many people in society change their views there is a culture shift in the way we view gender stereotypes. It is evident that culture changes and in the last 100 years many strides have been talked to tackle gender inequality. The deep-rooted patriarchy however does not disassemble over-night and is a gradual product of people changing their views and changing the culture in which kids are brought up in. I believe that once people grow up it is likely to see as much change in their generation, however, if people are brought up, without being told that they should adhere to certain strict gender expectations and that respect is something that should be given to everyone then the culture of sexism can definitely change.