CAS Reflection #11: Challenge – Jazz Band

The previous 3 months in Jazz Band have been probably one of the most grueling and intensive months I’ve experienced. New pieces and being able to play together as a band (FINALLY) have completely shifted the dynamic and mindset within me. Together with my ITP teacher, I’ve been working steadily and thoroughly through my pieces, bringing some light to the end of the tunnel. To me, Jazz Band is an activity which you continually learn not only in terms of the music piece, but also about your limits, and how you can go out of your way to overcome them. Ever since the beginning, Jazz Band has been a tough activity, and practicing has always been a must. My improvement has been immense in the past 6 years, as I’ve really seen myself develop in terms of my playing, and the fact that I’m not afraid to pull the occasional solo says a lot about me, which is atypical of my (normally) reserved self.

I hope that over the coming year, I’m able to push myself even further than ever before, and that one day, I’ll get to see myself do a proper solo, in front of the grade.