Reflection on ‘Grand Paradigms’

Resources Used: 

Slideshow on ‘Grand Paradigms’.

-Link to video clip from Toy Story where Buzz realises he is not a real space Ranger after all.

1) In your view, how might the video to any of the ‘Grand Paradigms’ that we looked at today?

In my opinion, I feel that Buzz’s realisation that he is not a real space Ranger in the video parallels the shift that perhaps occured when we transitioned from the classical paradigm/modern paradigm to the post-modern paradigm. Firstly, I feel that it is important to establish what paradigms refer to. Paradigms are a distinct set of concepts, a pattern of thoughts or standards that constitute legitimate contributions to a particular field. It essence, they are the dominant discourse. Consequently, significant changes in the paradigms of concepts such as that of human existence can have major consequences – demanding reappraisal. In addition, when the innate egoist nature of animals is considered (which can be seen as a reductionist view), it is no surprise that when one finds that their existence – their lives, their choices and their feelings – are ultimately inconsequential in the face of the vast universe, that it is difficult to digest. After all, in our minds, the world constantly (yet inevitably) revolves around us. In the movie, Buzz is anthropomorphised and therefore his reaction reflects that of ours as humans. When he is shown that what he has believed in for so long is not true, it terrifies him because he is now faced by the unknown.

2) Later in the movie, Buzz gets over the dismay that we see in this clip.  (Don’t worry if you have not seen the movie).  Why do you think this might be?

(I haven’t watched the movie but) I think that despite knowing the ‘truth’, perhaps Buzz resorts to what we ourselves are often guilty of: denial. As humans, when we are confronted with the choice to continue living as we have always have in the past or to instead tackle the new – we often choose the former because it feels more safe and comfortable when we have all the answers. We ignore what we don’t know even when we are are subconsciously aware that it exists. And in the end, if doing so doesn’t hurt anyone, what have we got to lose? After all – does it really matter what we choose to believe when we are our existence is ultimately so inconsequential?

3) What’s your reaction to these these paradigms?  How do they appeal to you /repel you?

Personally I believe that there has been value in all the different paradigms to do with human existence that have existed thus far in the past. After all these paradigms are an ever-evolving reflection of how we as humans interpret the new knowledge that we come to possess. They help people to acclimatise to the changes that we counter in our quest to further progress and become more and more intelligent. Therefore it is less a matter of them appealing or repelling to us and more of how much of our thoughts we can see mirrored in them. After all, we feel a sense of security and comfort when we know that other’s see the world in the same way that we do. Undeniably, there is strength in numbers.

If you ask me, I feel that no single paradigm that speaks to me. I see a level of substance behind each of them. To me they are ‘food for thought’. However thinking too much doesn’t get me anywhere because no matter how much I think, I am confronted with questions I do not have the answers to. And so, I believe the smartest thing to do when we are faced with the concept of our existence as humans is to just keep on living as we do – in a pursuit to become smarter (and hope that one day we might stumble upon this supposed ‘truth’.)

One thought on “Reflection on ‘Grand Paradigms’

• September 20, 2020 at 2:45 am
    Permalink

Thank you Shruti for these insights. Your first answer shows a strong grasp of how Buzz reflects a paradigm and it’s challenge. Your second answer also shows an insight into human nature – denial as a response, that I think is shown in this clip as Buzz attempts to fly. But at the end he is forced to accept that his image of himself was incomplete; and in the following scenes he ends up as a depressed drunkard. But he comes out of it when we realises that he is needed, and the end of the film shows Buzz coming to terms with his new self image. So denial is a stage, not the end point.

Your third answer is most interesting; and I think is a thoughtful approach – to see what value there is in any paradigm, adn to take from it whatever you can. I guess this shows how important it is that one is aware of a range of paradigms. And as you say, perhaps we just need to accept that we’ll never get the ABSOLUTE truth – but that cannot stop us needing to put one foot in. from of the other each day, and keep going.

Thank you Shruti for this
    NA

Reply