MUN Delegate Training Reflection

In MUN delegate training I take the role of a trainer to once again display leadership in this activity. In both high school and middle school I help experienced members of the MUN club develop their skills, yet my experiences in those two training groups is very different.

In high school, I am required to display higher levels of collaboration as the people I am mentoring are either my peers or people in grades above. I need to find a way to display leadership and offer advice, while simultaneously respecting the ability of the people I am talking to. They are all very skilled at debating so I have to find a way to not ruin their self confidence but also help them improve at the same time. Sometimes I run mock debate situations so that it is easier for the people to see areas they need to improve in and correct them in real time.

In middle school, however, I am required to display higher levels of patience and empathy towards the people I help teach. They still have a lot of skill when it comes to debate, however, sometimes are slower to pick up on things so I have to show more patience when trying to help them understand something. In a way though, they are easier to teach because they are more willing to absorb the information I provide and due to the difference in age between us, they are more likely to listen due to a level of respect for me. I have to be careful not to underestimate the skills of the delegates due to their age as there are always things I can learn from them.

Adding on to that, something important for me to do when training other students is keeping an open mind. I do not pretend to know everything there is to know about MUN, and because of that I need to make sure I am always keeping an eye out for things I can learn from others in order to improve my own skills.