Raw Beauty : Grade 12 reflection

Introduction presentation I made for the first session

: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19djZSgBkjVOAaV_pZVKBBhEAipTEd6T9/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=118120026354714215299&rtpof=true&sd=true

As I begin the process of handing over this service to the new grade 11 chair, I’ve begun to reflect on how Raw Beauty has changed me. It was my first experience becoming a leader of a service that didn’t have history, therefore, I had to co-plan and initiate many aspects to get it off the ground. It was a very fulfilling experience, as I garnered skills ranging from soap-making to leading (LO2) which are skills that remain with me even after Raw beauty.

But more than this, I realise that I’ve come out of Raw beauty with a different mindset than I had when I entered. I had never researched or explored the topic of child labour, specifically mica-mining, until I learned about it on my first Raw Beauty session. It changed the way I consumed not just beauty products, but everything in general. I’ve learned about what indicators to look for when seeking environmentally and ethically-friendly products (LO6) as a means to engage with an issue bigger than myself, one that is globally significant.

In relation to this, my awareness on what is ethically right and wrong has amplified thanks to my learnings in Raw Beauty. As a member, I realised that the new habits I incorporate into my life as a result of my learnings can be applied to the rest of my household. In realising that ethical consumption is not a act of service, but rather, a moral obligation, has helped me to frame my consumption patterns better and align them with my values. I’m thankful that a service like Raw Beauty has not only given me practical skills, but also, values like global and ethical awareness to tackle other issues I might face after my time at UWCSEA (LO7).

Our first soaps we made, using sustainable materials :

Teaching our grade 9’s how to make soaps from scratch using lye water. We had to inform them of the safety precautions we must take when handling pure NaOH.