Participation in service has been quite uncertain and unusual for me this year. I have not been able to participate in Running Hour since November, first due to my broken arm and now due to COVID-19. I hope to participate in virtual fitness as part of Running Hour in light of lockdown. I also hope to be able to contribute as much as I can when I return to school and things settle down a little bit.

When we can all get back to running without any restrictions I, along with Rachel Jung, plan to lead a Running Hour project in the boarding house. Tampines House has a lot of bikes lying around which are used mainly during Saturday morning activities that involve biking to places or just biking around the block. Mr. Jacobson and Hana Mori, the chair of Running Hour, pitched an idea to us that we want to move forward with. This idea consists of us having a potential partnership with Running Hour, who would conduct an activity on UWCSEA East Campus every morning on Saturdays, wherein participants will cycle around the block or to nearby destinations. This will be in addition to the Thursday evening runs that are a part of the service, so Rachel and I will be fit to run this since we live in the boarding house.

Our initial plan was to talk to Rob Storey, who leads this activity on Saturday mornings in the boarding house, and ask him if we could expand it to be a part of service. The boarding house usually participates in services and activities regularly, so were were confident that Mr. Storey would be happy to help us. Our plan even involved getting orientation students in August involved in the annual Run for Inclusion event, which would be the start to a lasting partnership between the school and Running Hour. However, in light of recent circumstances, it seems difficult to pitch the idea for orientation week. So, we have decided to hold off on contacting anyone till the situation settles down a bit. Nevertheless, we remain positive for future plans with the boarding house and will work towards them as soon as we can.

Running Hour: Plan for the Future
Tagged on: