My UWCSEA Learning Journey

Ella Griffiths

Shakers Height

What are your thoughts on some of the issues raised in the article and in the video? 

I think the article and video addressed that there is a problem in schools and within the community of Shakers Height. Even though Shaker Height is shown to be a place where all cultures and races are integrated together and live in peace, we can see this isn’t really the case. When an old teacher talked about a lesson he once did where he asked all his students to raise their hands if they have had a black person over at their house he quoted “not one hand went up”. Showing that there are certain people acceptable to have at ones house and certain people who aren’t, and in this case people of colour are not accepted in homes of others. So even though Shaker Heights strives to be an inclusive community for all races and religions, here we can see that there is still a problem of racism. A mother even said that teachers were bias to her kids due to their race, as they are black they are seen as less unintelligent. Sadly some teachers like this don’t offer the same privileges to people of colour, like extra lesson, tutoring, extra resources.

I don’t believe there are any clear solutions, as racism has been an ongoing issue worldwide for many years now, but I think in Shaker Heights for kids to learn it’s ok to hang out with a black person, and for teachers to stop being bias towards black students, and for more black people seen in jobs like teaching, there is a possibility to solve racism.

Next Post

Previous Post