Open letter to my mentor group

Dear 11SPe,

Rumi or Goldin?

In his poem, Rumi iterates how important it is to make everyone feel welcome and happy as much as we can. He shows that even though it is natural for people to go through sorrow and pain, it is important that they have someone to lean on when they need to overcome it and that we all should be sympathetic of their situation.

Questions to lead?

• How does Rumi advocate for empathy in this poem?
  • What does he teach us about community?
  • What does he teach us about humanity?
  • How does is want us to spread positivity

Protocols

• 1-2-6 protocol
  1. Read the poem individually and write down some thoughts and things you learn
  2. Form a pair and discuss and build on your learning
  3. Join with 2 other pairs and discuss then create a poster on what Rumi is trying to teach us
  • Freeze frames
  1. Form a pair and read the poem together and write notes on what you think it means
  2. Join with another pair and share
  3. Create a freeze frame in your group of 4 about what you think the poem means about unity
  4. Share with the larger group

One thought on “Open letter to my mentor group

1. One challenge you may want to think about when discussing that question is that people will have many different interpretations some that may not be able to be put into a freeze frame which would in turn make your session unproductive. Your post reminded me that IFP should do more idea writing and interpreting news or current events as it evokes more complex thought processes and results in more discussion between delegates. I’m most interested in hearing the results when asked to write down what Rumi is teaching us as other people’s ideas will be very different to our own and that can make the session interesting.