Learning 3D Drawing through DT Coursework

Drawing has never been a strong point of mine. So when I was informed that I would have to put pencil (and coloured pencils) to paper for several ideas of designs for my final product, I wasn’t too thrilled about it. However, I would say that the experience has helped me improve in the areas I was once weak in.

Coming up with ideas largely required the use of creativity. I had to come up with ideas that were child-friendly, had no edges or sharp corners and suitable for the function of my product. I had a lot of inspiration, particularly from existing products. I also paid attention to the things my client had an interest in. Her interest in gardening is mostly the reason the product is the shape of a flower.

Some parts of my drawing process required the use of stencils. I used them mainly to draw circles and ellipses as drawing those shapes by hand would not result in smooth enough lines. Measurement also had to be detailed and reasonable (I found myself using rulers to measure thin air to try and see what measurements would work). This part of the project also taught me how to render and colour my drawings properly, which would have been useful for the exam and is helpful for many future designing opportunities.

2 Comments on Learning 3D Drawing through DT Coursework

1. gupta16151@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg
    May 9, 2020 at 11:41 am (4 years ago)

By looking at the picture, it seems that you’ve have developed your ability to make 3D drawings. I also struggled with this at first, but the multiple exercises in class helped me improve as well. Do you find yourself using this skill near in the future?

Reply
    • josep52674@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg
      May 11, 2020 at 5:26 am (4 years ago)

Thank you for your valuable feedback, Uditi. It’s comforting to see that I wasn’t the only one struggling to master this skill, as everyone else in the class seemed to be very good at it!

I think that even if I don’t end up doing a DT or engineering related course in the future, drawings are always a great way to express ideas that can’t be put into words. I believe that this skill will be useful in assisting me with general projects or presentations later on. With a little colour and rendering, they’ll add a nice touch to otherwise text heavy material.

Reply