Posted in Uncategorized

Wrap Up post on Robyne Hayes

Today, we met a social justice photographer who uses her camera as a tool to spread awareness about women rights. One of her major projects being to put an end to child marriage. I think one of the things that really stuck out today other than her focus on having human rights was how she incorporated her passion for photography into her daily job as a researcher. I think this really showed her positive attitude and made me look up to her and believe that yes she can make a change and a difference because she puts in the effort.

Furthermore, she also took another perspective upon the reasons for child marriage, which was poverty, lack of education and food insecurities contrary to many people beliefs that child marriage is a ‘religious issue.’ Moreover, her focus on improving the lives of the whole community instead of just an individuals was also one of her features that stood out to me as it really inspired me to analyse a problems root cause rather than just trying to improve the ‘upfront’ problem.

Also, I think one of her aims to gain women rights to have the girls/women themselves initiate the learning rather than us ‘spoon feeding’ everything. This particularly stood out because I did not expect her to go to measures like literally smuggling cameras in to make sure that the girls learn that there are people out there to support them and that they have the rights to do what they want as long as they take the first step.

2 thoughts on “Wrap Up post on Robyne Hayes

1. Agreed, Anisha. I thought I had a sound understanding of the issues around child marriage, but I learnt a lot today that made me re-think – as you say – the roles of religion and the importance of tackling root causes. Robyne was so very considered in her point of view, so very balanced and reasonable, that I found this as inspiring as the photography itself, I think.

2. haha, yes, I”d forgotten about the cameras…you’re right, this is a powerful detail in her story, I think, underlining the value she places on people being able to tell their own stories and communicate their own aspirations. By the way, Robyne told us afterwards that she is about to start work with an organisation called Project X, which works with sex workers in Singapore. Let me know if you’d like to find out more about this.