Nature vs Nurture

After watching the documentary and reflecting on your personal views, to what extent do you think gender identity is determined by the environment?  The questions below may help with your thinking.

• How much has the environment influenced your views on gender and your own expression of gender?

I think that environment has had a huge impact on who I am today, I grew up playing with hot-wheel cars and watching superheroes on TV and being allergic to anything pink and “girl like”. In my childhood I don’t think my parents told me to like blue but I think that the media influenced me linking blue. Example I can remember specifically walking into toy stores and seeing it divided by blue and red and on the blue sides were nerf guns with pictures of boys shooting them and on the pink side, girls playing with dolls. Personally I have always liked all “boy” things sports, blue, nerf guns and toy cars.

• How important is your gender to your identity? Why?

I think my gender has formed who I am, my identity, because I have grown up liking sports and cars and guns and having bad handwriting so I believe that if I was raised differently, liking pink instead of blue, ow would I be different today. I think that it would make a massive difference to my life because I couldn’t imagine liking “girly” things.

• How has it shaped other aspects of your life?

Like I said before I have never liked “girly” things, that maybe a part of who I am and my genes or it may be because we were so gender divided and separated like black and white, because I was a boy I grew to like boy things.

• What has influenced your perspectives about your gender?

I think the media has influenced a lot of my perspective about gender because as I said before I wouldn’t be who I am if boys were blue and girls were pink.