Writers Fortnight Final Reflection :)

Our final drafts for our writers fortnight article was due on the 19 of March, it was an amazing exploration of different experiences. it was a great media through which I as well as many others could connect and enrich our lives by finding morals in the stories we heard and things we experience on the daily.

While writing this article I primarily relied on my past experience with writing essays, although I understood aspects of article writing such as the format, I was rather oblivious to the differences between writing an essay and and article, differences that mainly reside in the audience that I am writing it for. Article as I have come to learn need to have a purpose, Furthermore they have to have appeal. Through my exploration of journalism as an occupation there are several aspects that one has to recognise and attend to that are just not prevalent when writing an article. Which is why rather than putting to use my existing skills I had to find a way to take these skills and adapt them to this new form of writing. An extremely important skill that I put to use was planning the article. There are a lot of similarities between planning for and essay and for an article for example finding evidence, Points that you would like to explore and explain but there is also many other things that you have to think of such as the title, subtitle, images and more. Planning prior to writing a text is essential in order to effectively articulate and build on your thinking and to help the readers easily follow your thought process. Apart from this, throughout this whole process I was able to use as well as develop my skill of structuring and editing my writing to form a more effective text. Drafting and building on ideas is a huge part of writing a good article and prior experience with writing articles and essays were really helpful.

The feedback was probably the most helpful part throughout this entire experience and surprisingly I believe that sitting down and just going through all of the feedback and editing my work was my favourite part of the whole experience, Despite the fact that it is very intimidating to have all of your peers, teachers and parents sit down and judge your writing, I feel like I not only developed my article but I was able to develop my skills as a writer. I learned small ways such as rephrasing a sentence picking proper evidence and exploring the details of a topic that truly enriched my text and made it much better.

For effort that I put in to this I this strong, although If I am to judge my writing I still feel like there is still room for improvement. This article was really time consuming, and that is primarily why I feel like self-management and communication were extremely important throughout the process. editing, getting feedback and so on took a lot of time on my end especially considering that there were many areas that I felt I could improve on. This being such a long project I and I am sure all of my classmates had to ensure we were ahead of things and we communicated our issues, if by chance we had any.

For an attainment grade for my writing I feel like I deserve a 5 or 6. Personally I feel like my article is not bad, however, there are many areas where in I can improve my writing. Though believe that I did well I am not confident enough to give myself a 6 or 7. I am satisfied with the end result, I feel like I have well portrayed the conventions of a feature article and have a good balance between evidence/research and the speakers anecdotes. And I feel like I was able to make it interesting and relatable to our target audience. 🙂