Maths and Me!

Hi! my name is Maithili, pronounced like Natalie but with an M. ๐Ÿ˜€

From what I remember my maths experience really began in grade 2, unfortunately I was absolutely horrible at maths, I evidently remember my grade two teacher throwing my own maths notebook at me in frustration because I could barely read an analogue clock properly! Every child has that memory of sitting with their father at the dining table teary eyed as they yelled “WHATS 8 TIMES 6??!?!?” for the 6th time, that memory to me was basically my early years in a nutshell. But I must give credit where credit is deserved, maths really got interesting in grade 9 IGCSE with Mr Stirrat, his passion and aptitude for the subject truly inspired me- which is why I am so exited for this year!! In my opinion Analysis and Approaches really embodies the aspects of mathematics that makes the subject interesting, finding patterns, solving problems, and best of all working with others for the simple goal of gaining an understanding of the mathematical complexities that builds the foundation for much of the world around us.

on this continuum I would place myself right in the middle or maybe a little to the left. I absolutely LIVE for the satisfaction that I get when I figure something out on my own but I definitely am not afraid or unwilling to ask for help or an explanation when I truly need it. Which I guess also answers your next question “What do you do when you are โ€œstuckโ€ in mathematics?”ย 

I think my biggest strengths are my questioning nature, self discipline and persistence however I definitely think that I have to work on being more of a risk taker and overcoming my fear of being wrong in my pursuit for answers.

I think that my maths teacher should know that to an extent I do carry a sort of academic anxiety because I know that I am a very capable person and I want to fulfil my own expectations, but at the very least I will always strive to be a resilient and diligent learner and that I am very exited to start my IB maths journey this year as part of your class. ๐Ÿ™‚

One thought on “Maths and Me!