Writers fortnite session 1: Chris Huntington

Coming into this session I was extremely optimistic, I was enthusiastic to hear an intense and vulgar story of the boxing world and how this persons firsthand experience with it. But instead I got something much more valuable than a childish story. I got deep insight to the prison system from a valued member of staff. I met Chris Huntington, whose job was a GED. His role was to teach the underprivileged convicts the essentials in education. Even basics like reading and writing were foreign to the inmates, and the inability to do function at that level is what motivates to delve into the life of crime. Although it may seem like there is little no incentive to learn, the system has given them promise of a six month reduction to their sentence for each educational milestone, such as: high school and college graduation or achieving a degree.

Although it seems like the system empowers the inmates and doesn’t exploit it’s potential power over society. The prison system’s heavy incarceration of coloured people have forbid a large quantity of coloured people’s votes, this has lead to a huge misrepresentation of these ethnic groups. Along with that, from Chris’ perspective; the prison provides little protection to convicts from possible inside attacks. He has witnessed a few of his students die in such quarrels and feels great sorrow in losing extremely promising citizens. In conclusion, this session taught me much about the incarceration system and that “knowledge never brings regret” -Chris Huntington.