High School Science Fair 2021 – Reflection & Demonstration Stage

While I not only planned the Science Fair, I also participated and presented. Although I participated in the science fair, I did not participate in the award as this would be ethically wrong considering that I was also involved in determining winners. I really wanted to participate and compete for the Applied Sciences Awards as my presentation was about CaproGlu, a newly invented medical adhesive, which applies aspects of biology, chemistry, and physics in the real world. Since I am a part of the leadership team, if I were competing for the awards, there may have been an aspect of bias from my team members, which is ethically wrong, hence, it would not be fair for the other participants. Therefore, I had to make the ethical decision to not compete for the awards, but still, participate and present during the Science Fair. Alongside making an ethical decision of my participation, I also had to think about the ethical implications of assigning dates to presentations. It was only ethically fair if all groups presented for the same duration, hence, when assigning dates and times, I had to take this into consideration as well.

My presentation

Therefore, through planning and participating in the High School Science Fair, I have learned various things, in terms of making ethical decisions based on specific scenarios as it is extremely important to understand how my decisions impact others around me as well as whether they are ethically correct. Additionally, through this process, I have improved my skills of collaboration, communication, and time management. The many obstacles faced by my team and I in terms of the COVID-19 regulations have further developed my problem-solving skills. Therefore, this CAS project in general has allowed me to improve many of my skills and accomplish my goals.