Piano Class Reflection #3

Last week, I submitted the recording of my Grade 5 ABRSM Piano Online Practical Examination. It was a completely different experience. Normally, I give in-person examinations, however, due to COVID-19, the set-up has drastically faced. In fact, due to the new requirements of the online examinations, I had faced many challenges. For instance, one of the new requirements was that I had to learn one additional piece, which would mean a recording of 4 pieces in total. Although I had a short period of time to learn this piece and I had to balance my academics and other extracurricular activities, I was able to overcome these challenges and find time to constantly practice in order to learn the new piece to the best of my potential in the provided time. Luckily my examination had shifted from July to August which provided me with more time to practice all the pieces. However, the biggest challenge I faced was while I was recording my pieces. Since I was required to submit only one recording with all the pieces played consecutively, I had to take multiple re-takes as I made mistakes while playing and there was a lot of background noise. To be honest, I felt quite nervous playing my exam pieces with the presence of my parents. Therefore, I decided to wake up early and complete the recordings. By this method, I was not only able to play the pieces really well but there was also no background noise, which was wonderful. This experience has improved my skill of problem-solving as I was able to correctly identify the problems and tackle them. Although this experience was filled with challenges, I was able to overcome them all, and the results were quite fruitful.