In what ways can Thetis be understood as a poem about transformation and power?

Thetis by Carol Ann Duffy uses the age-old greek tale wherein a nereid, Thetis attempts to escape from the advances of Peleus who wants to marry her, by shapeshifting. This poem follows Thetis shapeshift into different animals and objects in order to escape the man who himself, transforms into different things to effectively counter her. Other than the obvious way in which both characters transform into different objects and animals, there is a clear character transformation in Thetis as, by the end of the poem she transforms herself from a person on the run to someone who has learned the futility of running. Moreover, this poem can be seen as a metaphor for the transformation of women in contemporary society. By the end of the poem, she transforms and settles down, however, there could be different interpretations of whether she is content with this transformation or not. Though it says “I changed, I learned”, the poem also ends with an image of a child bursting out. The word ‘burst’ is harsh and brutal and shows the negative side of this transformation. As for power, this poem is all about a woman feeling powerless even though she tries to change herself throughout. As Thetis changes herself to the next object, she is immediately trapped by the man and made to feel powerless. 

P.S, I wasn’t here for Thursday’s lesson where we analysed the poem in more depth*