Marc Nair, an Indian-Chinese writer, and photographer. He lived in Singapore which is more of a city life rather than a rural environment. He says that the urban experience dominates his poems, he also says that he often finds himself writing against the city rather than for. Being mixed he was often questioned about his heritage. He explored working with multiple artists on various projects for his books. Some books he has published that were mentioned were: Travel Poems, Animal City, The Poet of unlove, Intersection and Spomenik. Some more that I found from research that he had published were: Along the yellow line and Postal code. As a photographer, he gave some tips and explains that the streets are where you can find multiple perspectives and you should always capture a decisive moment. He also says that moments of commentary; a reflection of something universal within the scene. You should avoid cliches he mentioned as well. Some poems he performed during his presentation were Plasticpelago, Pan-Asian, 10 Syrians, and Wish a goldfish.

North: In what way did this session help advance your understanding of the speaker or an issue?

I agree with him that there is a lot more to write about somewhere apart from the city because the city isn’t very appealing to write about in my opinion, it is more interesting if a poem was about elsewhere like nature because every day in the city we don’t get a glimpse of rural places. This has helped advance my understanding about contrasting between the 2.

South: In what way did this session make you question – or make connections with – your learning in class?

Me being a lover of photography it made me question the different perspectives I was showing when taking a photo because I usually just see something that looks nice and snap a photo without much thought.

East: A new dawn: How did this session inspire you?

I feel like it didn’t really inspire me since I am not a lover of writing poetry but it motivates me to read more poetry because the poetry he presented were covering different issues but presented in an approach I wouldn’t have thought of before and that’s the thing about poetry, it expresses things that aren’t easily expressed.

West: What are you unsure about?

I am still unsure about why and how he does his poems and what his motivations are.