Reflection of 1st practice IO

Link to Notes and Recording

1. Timing

I personally think that I spent too little time on the body part of the oral. I think that this is because I had a progression of technique – idea rather than idea – technique. This caused me to be too narrow and thus spend very little time analysing.

2. Structure and progression (into conclusion)

I talked about the poem chronologically, as in line by line, talking about how the language used indicates the growth of the girl

3. Did you discuss context? Relation to the wider global issue or focus of your exploration?

I think I did not introduce the poem’s context well nor did I really discuss the wider global issues.

4. Ideas and technical aspects: did you get a balance between discussing the two?

I think I focused on the technical aspects too much, even though I didn’t really use the right terminology. (Ack!)

5. What will you ‘feedforward’ to your next practice?

Use of terminology

Do concept-technique, not technique-concept as narrows down what you could say

Don’t go line by line

Close analysis and contextualisation

Published inAcademicIBDPSL English LL

One Comment

1. Katherine Wallace

Your opening thesis statement is good, but you need to get to the overall point fo what the poem is exploring on a thematic or conceptual level, and make an overall point about the writing or crafting of the poem. Be specific about context and how Duffy is using the original tale in a modern context – this all relates clearly to the themes explored. Your analysis and exploration of the text is comprehensive and detailed – well done. You move easily and fluently through the poem, linking all of these ideas to specific detail: very good. For your next practice, I’d like you to focus on establishing that opening argument.