Becton Dickinson

Becton Dickinson was an experience that gave me an insight into what my future could possibly look like. Over the course of the day, I was exposed to various parts of their R&D department. Becton Dickinson is a medical technology company and deals with a wide variety of products and services that involve biomedical engineering and biotechnology.

AT BD, I learned a lot about various products. It amazed me how the simplest engineering can be used for the simplest of things to make such a big difference. The highlight of my time there was the exposure I gained to the Odon project. Odon is a device for assisted delivery vaginal birth in cases of prolonged or complicated labour. What really inspired me about the device was how such simple mechanisms were used to make sure the baby came out without any injuries or deformities. The simple idea of an aircuff around the baby’s jaw, a place that is relatively safer to pull out. The thing that was so inspiring about this and made me want to get involved was that the WHO reached out to BD to make a device that would increase the safety of babies.

Another device I was introduced to were the IV catheters. I learned so much about the type of plastic selection which included how toxic the extractable and leachable of the plastic were, their strength, and their price. I learned about how BD utilised hydrophobic and hydrophillic tenchonology to make the gravity infusion sets much easier to prime and to administer. Working at Becton Dickinson gave me a really solid insight and exposure to the area of engineering I’m interested in, and helped in solidifying that interest.