Indian Classical Dance (Kuchpudi)

I have done Kuchipudi for around 5 years in Hong Kong. I first joined Kuchpudi because of my friend, she was doing it so I wanted to join. It is a south Indian classical dance from the state Andhra Pradesh, from a village called Kuchipudi. Firstly, I feel like Kuchipudi has exposed me to different aspects of Indian Culture. I am from a different region in India which is in the north, so I haven’t been exposed much to south Indian culture. But, when I started doing Kuchipudi I went to Telugu festival events and performed there I also became more exposed to Sanskrit and learned some through dancing. Most importantly I learned the discipline that comes with Indian classical dance, for example; the sharp eye movements, always sitting in a squat and keeping my arms up for good frame.

LO4:

I think I have shown a commitment to this activity as I have continued it for 5 years. I think what kept this commitment of mine going was my love for performing and learning new dances. This dance has also helped me in many different aspects. For example, keeping my fitness up, improving my coordination/balance and memory. I also mentored younger dancers, teaching them dances and preparing them for performances, and learned to be a patient person committed to helping others learn and encouraging enthusiasm.