A (Activity): Swimming – Season 1 summary

This swim season there were no competitions apart from one in house competition to start off the season. I have been doing swimming for the past 9 years at this school and have developed a very close relationship with the team and the coaches. Over the summer I also tried to maintain my training by swimming with other teams overseas, more specifically in Australia with a team called Miami swim.  This commitment allowed me to enter the new swim season feeling good and well prepared. In general, I would say that I have been using the first season of swimming to get back into the routine and intensity of the normal training and working more on my technique for the rest of the season and my future development. One of the main things that I have set up for season 1 was my goal setting, this allows me to form a good foundation. (below is my goal setting)

In detail, please explain what your long term “dream” goal is in the sport of swimming.  Please be specific. Also, add 2 stepping stone goals 

One of my dream goals would be to represent Australia as a swimmer, while I am not at this level of training as of right now, this is purely just a dream and somewhat of a motivation to get me to push harder each swim season and year. Two stepping stones to get there would be to place/podium at one of the Singapore nationals and/or qualify for world cup. They are two very well respected competitions in Singapore and to place in them shows hard work and your worth within the swimming community and more specifically Singapore  

What are your goals for the rest of the year (Now until April, April – August)?  Be specific when talking about events and times.

I would like to focus on improving my fly events/races, more specifically the 50,100 and 200 Fly, however, I would also like to improve my IM (200 and 400)  in general and make this one of my stronger races other than fly. 

50 fly:

• Current: 31.31
  • Process: 29.8
  • Aim: 28.9
100: fly:

• Current: 1.10.34
  • Process: 1.08
  • Aim: 1.05
200 fly:

• Current: 2.50.30
  • Process: 2.45
  • Aim: 2.40
200 IM:

• Current: 2.45.27
  • Process: 2:42
  • Aim: 2:36
400 IM:

• Current: 5.46.56
  • Process: 5.42
  • Aim: 5.35

Name two small meets and one big one that you will be attending this year.  In addition, be specific about the events you hope to compete in and the times you would like to do at those meets

Singapore Nationals (Age group) is one of the larger competitions and I qualify for during the swim year. I am able to qualify for all the fly races (sometimes excluding 200 fly) and some of the 50’s or 100’s in the other strokes. I hope that I am able to maintain this and swim these races again. Two of the smaller meets that I hope to get into again this year are HS ACSIS and SEASAC swimming. I hope to compete in the same races as nationals and also meet some of my process goals at these meets. For example, I specifically want to achieve my 50 and 100 fly process times of 29.8 and 1.08.   

Explain two process goals for each of the following (Training, Technical, Psychological, Nutritional and Lifestyle) that you have for the remainder of the swimming season.

Technical 

• My freestyle technique (Not breathing going into the wall or coming during breakouts) 
  • Working on my backstroke technique (Head position and rotation) 
Training 

• Challenging myself during training (Doing more fly for No.1 stroke) 
  • Increase the number of training sessions I do (Add an extra morning) 
Psychological 

• Not focusing on what I can’t do, but instead, focus on the positive and give new things a good chance 
  • Believing in myself
  • Looking at the long term impact that I am gaining and the training process as a whole
Nutritional 

• Replenishing my body with beneficial food after training in order to allow faster and more efficient recovery
  • Eating the right things before my races (testing what’s best for me prior to certain races) 
Lifestyle 

• Keeping on track with my logbook as this helps me largely with the psychological aspect and my mental health, in general,
  • Maintaining my land fitness as well (Crossfit focus) when there are holidays or on weekends 

What will training/holidays look like?  Have you discussed your competition schedule with your parents?

I have vaguely talked about the swimming season and the competitions, They are aware of the upcoming meets and dates, however, I have not looked any further than Feeding frenzy as of right now. I attend all training sessions at school if I stay in Singapore, however, If I was to leave the country I try my best to arrange training elsewhere. For example, I have trained with Miami swim in and Somerset in Australia. (I tend to average around 4-5 sessions a week if I am overseas. )

Finally, what are the fastest swimmers from your country (at your age group level) swimming for your events? (please put top 8).  Do you feel that your process goals and outcome goals above are setting you up for this level in the longer term (ie 2-5 years) and or the shorter term (1-2 years).

Australian age group doesn’t do 50 fly

100 Fly 

• 1.00.75
  • 1.01.24
  • 1.01.25
  • 1.01.46
  • 1.01.79
  • 1.02.14
  • 1.02.38
  • 1.02.95

As of right now, I don’t think these times are attainable for me, however, within the 2-5 years’ time frame I am hoping that I have set the right process goals in order to attain a time within the top 8 of Australia. I am focusing on achieving 1.05 first within the 1-2 year (short term) time frame.  

200 IM

• 2.19.10
  • 2.20.32
  • 2.21.52
  • 2.22.16
  • 2..22.55
  • 2.23.52
  • 2.25.31
  • 2.25.79

Similar to 100 fly, these times are quite a bit faster than my Current PB as well as my aim time. However I have never been in the top category, this is a long term goal for me, but as of right now I am happy achieving my aim times and focusing on my process goals for a long term benefit. 

#LO4 #LO3