Opera Singing Reflection #3

LO 1 Identifying own strengths and develop areas for personal growth

LO 2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

In the past few months Opera Singing has become an even bigger part of my extra-curricular life. As I will be participating in an upcoming concert, I try to spend at least twenty minutes every day to practice my vocal skills. I feel that I have reached a new level, where I become more independent in the development of my skills. This has given me a larger sense of maturity and self-confidence.

During the lessons, Ms.Novicova guides me in the more profound learning of how to make my voice richer and more open. Even though I can see that my voice is becoming more free and live, at times it feels that my progress is stalling. This is when I have to remind myself that at more advanced level, significant progress can only be achieved after a long period of consistent practice. This positive outlook on the situation helps to keep my frustration at bay, giving me more focus and a stronger sense of determination. As I’ve realized previously, I rejoice in the process, the journey in reaching yet another milestone. The battle of my will against the myriad of vocal technicalities gives me a sense of drive to move forward.

In the upcoming concert, I will be singing two new songs – “Vdol po Piterskoy” and “A Long Time Ago”. I really enjoy these compositions and strive to find “my way” of bringing them to life. The creativity that lies in the freedom to express my emotions and thoughts in my own, sparks interest in my heart, and creates a relentless force of progress.

I am very excited about the upcoming event, the main reason being is that I want to show myself the results of my perseverance and positive mindset. I want to grow as a person, by mastering my opera singing skills and filling my life with bright recollections of the journey I experienced. The lessons I take with Ms.Novicova and my individual learning has certainly contributed to what I like to call a “Vibrant Life of Learning”.