LO6: Surfaid

I am involved in a Global Concern known as Surfaid which provides support to communities along the Western Coast of Sumatra, Sumbawa and Sumba to help bring about positive change in these communities. The reason I joined Surfaid, besides wanting to help a community through any means,  is that I liked their approach towards helping these communities which I found sustainable and effective, “a hand up, not a hand out”. This means not simply providing a community with what it needs to survive, but rather teaching the community how to be self-dependant and look after others to ensure a healthy and happy future. I was regularly involved in sales and fares where Surfaid sold merch and food, all while aware that every dollar raised would, in some form, help the communities Surfaid supported. Ensuring the growth of all communities across the globe is important in an ever-changing world and knowing that I was able to make even the smallest difference and help these communities makes my experience in Surfaid all the more valuable.