Kahaani 2019 – First Reflection (Activity)

Kahaani '19 - Activity

Kahaani is a dance showcase that involves high school students dancing to music from India to raise funds for Voice of World, an NGO in Kolkata, India. I have been participating in it since Grade 9, and intend to continue for the rest of High School. Kahaani is something that always excites me, and is definitely one of the highlights of my high school career.

The learning outcome that stands out the most to me at the beginning of this process is LO2 (CHALLENGE). Although it may not be a new experience for me, it still involves me stepping out of my comfort zone to dance – which may not necessarily be an environment that I’m used to or adapted to. Throughout the Kahaani process, I want to identify ways I can confront ways to overcome potential fears and challenges to demonstrate commitment to the dance showcase. For example, a specific thing I want to do is make sure I practice every week outside of our weekly lunchtime practices so I don’t forget the dance, because should I miss any rehearsals due to external events and commitments, my practising can help me make sure I’m not too far behind. Moreover, it provides a form of reassurance and means I’m less likely going to overwhelm myself in the end.

Another learning outcome I want to concentrate on is LO4 (COMMITMENT). By doing this every year, I’m committing myself to the showcase and its cause. This is a source of motivation and incentive for me, to continue persevering even through the difficulties of the process. One thing that might interfere with this learning outcome is my external commitments so therefore, I must be engaged enough to never fall behind, even if I do end up missing a couple of rehearsals. Additionally, this is where the correlations between LO2 and LO4 come, as by keeping up my additional practices, it will only heighten my commitment to the showcase and will be beneficial for me. Therefore, this is an example of how I can solve the potential challenges that may come as a result.

This year, I want Kahaani to be a fun and enjoyable experience as well as one that encourages me to think about why I’m participating in this showcase and how it’s providing me with valuable insight and experience. Here is a video of our first rehearsal: