My UWCSEA Learning Journey

Ella Rokic

Some argue that advertising is a corrupting and manipulative influence in our lives. To what extent do you feel this is true or untrue?

Corrupting and manipulative both sound like evil words to me. But isn’t the whole purpose of advertisement to manipulate someone with promises of a better life to buy their product or service. I personally don’t think advertising is a thing that’s getting out of control, but it does get annoying when I’m stopped from watching my video on youtube a third time by an ad that I can’t skip.

Advertisement should be a way for start-up and smaller companies to be able to show themselves to a wider audience. What’s really unfair is when a massive company like apple pays millions of dollars to have their one ad play before a youtube video. Because of the amount they paid, it means more frequent their ad is shown. I don’t want to watch the same ad 5 times in a row, especially when it’s something I’ll never buy.

I don’t think that advertising influences how we live our lives, I think people are now sick of them and are starting to hate them. Ads can definitely be used for better reasons but in the end, it’s all about money.

rokic58888@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg • May 5, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post