English ATL Reflection

While we’re only about a month into the academic year, I can already see areas within English that I believe I am successful in but also aspects of my learning that could use more development. The communication ATL I find to be where my strengths lie and also features a section I believe needs improvement.

A point from the communication ATL that I believe I am doing well in is in the “Actively listen, read and watch” sub-category. The points being “I take the time to think before responding during discussions”. For the first point, I constantly contribute to class discussions and if I hear someone make an observation similar to one that I was thinking of, I try to think and find ways that I can build upon their idea. An anecdote of this would be while discussing Hedda Gabler, a fellow classmate who expressed her opinion on Hedda’s personality and how she felt that she was domineering and controlling. I agreed with her and was going to bring up the same point earlier, however, I decided to take some of the time to find examples of Hedda showing these domineering and controlling traits and connected it to my peer’s so that we could further develop this idea in class.

However, an aspect I believe needs improving is also within “Actively listen, read and watch”. The point “I write with clarity and lucidity – I ensure that my writing has sufficient depth and detail I proofread my writing“. I sometimes forget to go over my writing once I am done which results in a few silly mistakes that could have been avoided had I proofread my work. This is an area I believe needs work since these small errors could cost me a few marks and could also alter the intention of my work in some extreme cases. Attatched below are a few pictures of the mistakes I make and don’t correct since I forget to proofread.