Select Page

(The key terminology is in bold, and other terms are in cursive.)

Earlier on, I talked about the Gucci ad in the context of female representation today, but in this post, I will be breaking it down and analysing it more.

One of the first things that caught my eye is the framing, they have chosen to only include the three people from the waist and down. I believe this makes us focus on the image, product, and the feelings associated with the ad rather than the faces and personalities of the people in the advert. As humans, we tend to look at faces and with today’s societal norms of beauty and appearance, we would have been drawn to the faces and probably be analysing them instead of the product the ad is selling.

In this case, the logo ‘G U C C I’ also acts as a slogan for the brand. Being the only text in the ad, we do not get a lot of context which makes the situation in the advert a bit more difficult to read, but the simplicity also makes the ad more catchy and easier for potential customers to remember.

The typography is noticeable being in the front(foreground? or only for moving videos?) of the image. The simplicity and font is a part of the brand’s signature, which we can find this in the majority of GUCCI’s adverts. Examples will be linked at the end. They want us to associate the brand and its products with beauty in playful simplicity. Often they use a single pattern or many different solid colours – It challenges the ‘less is more’ statement by using either simple colour schemes or designs while still creating unique and stylistic pieces.

The composition of the subjects in the image is also very important to the theme and the overall message of the advert. By placing the woman in the middle and the men so close to her could either show her being trapped by the men or their desire for her/the product which in this case is either the shoes or the clothing she is wearing.

The GUCCI ad used in this post:

Other GUCCI adverts with the same typography: