Select Page

LO1, LO4, LO5,

Culturama just ended, and I am feeling a mix of emotions.

Meeting up with a small group of people every week, and spending even more time outside of the rehearsals and leading up to the shows, you do form closer bonds.

Both my dance partner and I always attended the practices, which made us a very strong couple. We knew the dance-moves and were even able to help others when they were uncertain about smaller details or even longer sequences. Of course, we also needed guidance, and the team was able to help us and if anything was difficult, everyone would use their spare-time to help out.

I was a bit nervous and found the thought of performing, especially dancing – which makes me feel very vulnerable –  in front of such a large audience. I have been on a scene before acting, but dancing was new to me. If you told me 6 months ago that I was going to be dancing the tango at the front of a stage in front of hundreds of people, my face would probably have looked a bit reluctant and intimidated just by the thought. Over the course of the 7 weeks, I feel like I have grown – when it was performance day I was a little shaky, but most of all excited. Both my dance-partner and I were calming each other down, even though both of us very jumping around looking like fools behind the curtains.

The experience on the scene was amazing. Finally showing what we had been working so hard on, and it turning out very good, was a relief, and something I was very proud of. I might not be a professional dancer, but I tried my best, and a lot of people asked if I had danced before – which was a confidence boost, and made me want to dance even more, even better. I enjoy the salsa activity a lot more, doing it at the same time as Culturama making me doing connections, and there are definitely things I will bring from Culturama: such as the courage to try something new, to have patience with other people, and recognize when I need to practise a move many times to understand it properly.

It is a lovely feeling greeting people from our dance group at the school, and because the majority of them are in the boarding house, I get to see them and talk to them every day. Even though the other dancers did not become my best friends, I have new relations and more courage to start new relations with new people.

An experience I will not forget. Culturama 2020 – I am already looking forward to joining.