Mock Paper 1

Looking back at my paper 1, there were a few targets I had. One of my biggest ones was to explore more of the conventions of the text. I struggled to do this on the cartoon mainly because I was not too familiar with many of the techniques and was more so trying to to use techniques that I was familiar with. However, I mentioned this anyway in my texts and made it clear when I was referring to certain main techniques of the text.

Something else I wanted to work on was my nuance. Both nuance of interpretation and also various potential audiences. I managed to do the audience variation in both texts by highlighting a primary and a secondary audience. I think though I showed different interpretations, that I only ever did it vary randomly and needed to be more consistent with it.

Something I did not think about was perhaps evaluating the effectiveness of various parts of the text. For example, I could have expanded on how useful the text was at the front of the first text to illustrate the issue. I think I simply need to look at what I have stated the purpose to be and to what extent the text aligns with that.

Overall, I think I need to be more succinct as well because I spend too much time expanding in certain ideas when there is perhaps a way for me to be more precise with what I am trying to say. This will also just give me more time to focus on some ideas that I want to go deeper into. I also feel like with this extra time I could plan more because that was something I struggled with and had to start writing ASAP.

Overall, I think this exam allowed me to see where I could have improved on my time management. Also I feel like in the exam itself I developed new strategies of how to merge techniques and share evidence to avoid repeating quotes.

My targets:

• Nuance of interpretation
  • Being precise and succinct
  • Using textual conventions