Bersama: Taking Chances

Reflecting on my growth in Bersama, I would say that I definitely have excelled in certain areas of contributing to a larger group of other vocalists, such that through the challenges I’ve personally faced along the way, I’ve been able to resolve them in any way possible. An example would be, (in my previous reflection) how stepping into a large ensemble was a new experience for me, especially because it was a voice group – have not done any sort of choral work since grade school. From this, I have been able to learn the importance of working within an ensemble, as I genuinely got so much out of the collaboration with those around me. Not only have there been moments in which I would gain from just singing with the other members, though, more personal moments such as taking chances and putting myself out there by singing a small solo section as an individual vocalist. Being new and somewhat shy about standing out just a little was definitely something I had to adjust to, and break off of – I was really fortunate to have my supervisor push me towards taking these chances and doing what I could. At the end of the season, I have seen the progress I’ve made and I’m proud of how much I have overcome in the past year; from stepping ut more and taking opportunities that may benefit me as an individual vocalist, to doing the most collaboration out of any other activity I have signed up for and building connections and relationships with those who have guided me throughout the season. Furthermore, I would say that my experience in Bersama has allowed me to apply certain techniques and skills outside of the classroom, and more in my daily life as a musician. In relation to my HL music classes, I would say that I’ve developed a new sense of music in the way I perform or arrange certain pieces for my portfolio, the concept of how different tones and ranges are integrated to make one coherent sound – this could be interpreted into composition and arrangement of various sounds and playing around with dynamic changes and etc.