HS Marimbas: Undertaking new skills & building connections

In joining the ensemble HS Marimbas, I have been able to undertake new skills and learn from those around me. Not only have I managed to progress as an individual musician, such that I’ve immersed myself in an ensemble environment and developed relationships within the group. From learning a new musical culture and making progress in newfound techniques, I have experienced challenges and been able to resolve them over time. As normal as it would be to pick up a new set of techniques, the marimbas wasn’t an unfamiliar territory as I have done in the past, however, the level of playing has definitely escalated since I last had played. With this came along, taking up the more challenging sections of the music and figuring out ways in which I could make it easier for myself to learn and pick up. More recently, I had moved to play the soprano section, which would entail the leading melody. With this piece, the different rhythmic expressions have made it difficult for me to keep up. However, with the help of my peers and personal perseverance, I have been able to progress in the part I’m expected to play. This was done through continuous practice and musically breaking it down into smaller chunks that would make it easier for me to learn and take in. I could see my improvement through the weeks that went by, as I felt much more confident in the stage I am currently at and more flexible in my playing. In participation in this activity, I have been able to train my ears better in hearing how the melody would go, instead of relying on the sheet music constantly – as this was unique to marimba music; it’s heavily based on the melodic and rhythmic feel rather than hitting each note precisely. I believe that I can apply my skill of ear-training to my personal music experiences as it is a useful technique that is expected of most musicians. Additionally, I think that this activity has been a beneficial learning moment for me as I use the same mentality when learning new pieces of music in the other instruments I work with, and has given me more courage to take up other genres of music or even instruments as a side project. Specific to the ensemble group, it has been helpful to work with others to figure out this new genre that we aren’t familiar with, and the experience has been rewarding as I have learned a range of techniques and have been able to receive help from my peers. Moreover, I think that collaboration for an activity such as this one, is significantly important as different sections of the ensemble contribute a specific aspect to the ensemble as a whole. Without the different components, the music won’t sound as complete as it’s supposed to be and it would be hard to achieve a full sound.