Recently, Hasbro released a board game titled ‘Ms. Monopoly’, which is supposed to represent a female version of the classic board game ‘Mr. Monopoly’. However, in this version of the game the female characters/players get an extra 40 dollars when passing through GO, demonstrating inequality within the game. Many people were displeased by this new concept, arguing that this inequality didn’t exist in the original game in the first place. We look at how many people against this perceive the message of what Hasbro is saying, and I will try to look at where I lie on the empathetic continuum.

Initially, I believed that I was apathetic for Hasbro, thinking that I didn’t care about their perspective. My ideas on that are quite similar as they do not really support feminism or masculinity, but I am more interested about the debate and compassionate with the people opposing this idea. I can see how people are frustrated as this ideology can distance us even further away from equality. This leads to inequality towards men and doesn’t get us closer to what feminism is all about. I can acknowledge that I care and understand where this idea is coming from, even if I don’t agree with Hasbro.