This image best represents how my CAS is going because it demonstrates team building and what we are learning in our service. I work with other UWC students to try and teach computer skills to members of the Hougang Care Center and so far we are working on organisation and being prepared for our meeting with them. We have worked on collaborating well to improve efficiency in our work to get tasks done faster. We also have been checking that everyone is up to date, as our chair makes sure that people are keeping up with deadlines such as presentations for the centre or having a guideline for when discuss our aim and mission with the administrators at the centre.

So far, our group has had little difficulty demonstrating skills of efficiency and compatibility, because we all get along was and show understanding for new ideas and concepts. In example, when brainstorming what parts of technology we have to teach to the centre we all split up into pairs and got to work directly. In comparison to my last service, we worked far more efficiently and showed productiveness all throughout the service lesson. When in the classroom, each member was able to stay on task and get the jobs that need to be completed done. Team building and getting to know each other is important for efficiency in work.