Initial Reaction – GPers Environment Unit

What is the environment? 

The environment is what we are surrounded by. Nature is an environment, our classroom is an environment, your house is also an environment. However given the amount of damage that the environment has been through when we mention environment it usually has a negative connotation. When you think about the environment it usually is about how much of a mess it is, and not how beautiful and amazing the world is anymore.

Why are some environmental issues more attractive than others? 

Some environmental issues are more attractive than other because 1) it is easier to deal with and will take us less time to fix, and because we are becoming increasingly lazy we try to find the easiest ways out and 2) because there are things that we think are so beautiful and that will make our lives better that we need to fix. For example, we want to fix the beach so bad because if not we won’t get to go snorkeling or diving in beautiful seas. The reason for all this is because humans are selfish and only do things that are convenient to them, not for the better of our planet.

How do environmental attitudes vary and change? (are humans deliberatively destructive?)

Our world is full of many different people that believe in different religions and ideologies, who have been raised with different morals and have grown up in different environments. We all think and feel in different ways which cause us to have different opinions towards issues. For example, some people believe that global warming is a concept that business men produced in order to get more money out of people. However, others believe that it is an important issue that needs to be solved before it gets out of hand. I also do believe that people are deliberatively destructive (having an awareness that we are killing the planet) because we know that our actions are harming the environment but can’t be bothered to do anything because we are lazy.

Where do our environmental values come from? (Do humans have the right to use the environment and other species for their own needs, as some faiths suggest? Do we have a responsibility to protect the environment for future generations?)

I think our environmental values come from and are influenced by the people to we live with and the people who teach us about these issues. If you grow up in an environment where everything seems perfect you are less likely to feel the need and pressure to save the world. But if you lived in an environment where you were constantly reminded of how bad the world is getting you would make an effort to do something. I feel as though humans were made to use the world natural resources and other species because we are part of the food chain (we are the predator for everything). However, we have come to a point where we are being greedy and trying to take and drain as much from this earth as possible which is unfair. Also, there are so many problems with the world we live in today because humans only care about making their life better making it more convenient. But if we don’t stop to make our environment better, to make our world more healthy there will be no life to make better. Lastly, I do believe that we have a responsibility of protecting the environment for future generations because I want them to be able to experience all the beauties this world holds and we can’t have the mindset that because we are leaving we can just do whatever we want without there being consequences.

Are you an environmental activist? (What changes, modifications and adjustments are necessary for a turn-around to refocus our efforts on sustainable lifestyles?)

I don’t believe that I am a massive environmental activist but I do care about the environment and the state that I am leaving it in. I think that the reason why I am not really an environmental activist is due to the fact that to survive in our society now you need to work really hard. Meaning that we need to be able to help the environment in tiny little ways that if everyone pitches in to do will have a huge impact. By spreading the word about these EASY solution our self-centered, lazy society will be more likely to participate in a sustainable lifestyle.

One thought on “Initial Reaction – GPers Environment Unit

1. Are you more Ecocentric than Anthropocentric or vice versa?
    I believe from my descriptions above that I am a technocentric (environmental manager), therefore leaning more towards the anthropocentric views.

Which category fits your views best and why?
    I do believe that we are allowed to use the resources but I want to prompt using these resources in a sustainable manner. We only have one planet to live on and we are killing it if we don’t use as many means as possible to help our planet heal there will be nothing left. I also believe that my action does reflect my beliefs as when possible I do want I can to help the environment?

What has influenced your environmental perspectives?
    I think given the environment I’ve grown up in I am prone to being lazy as I have been spoilt for most of my life, and the world I live in is pretty great. Therefore I don’t think there is a huge need to protect the environment, thus not taking a lot of action. However, due to how educated I am on environmental issues through UWC I understand how server this issue is and how important it is for us to start taking action. Also, UWC pushes and prompts students to do as much as they can which give us more incentive and motivation. (Environmental perspective are driven/directed by my environment)

Do you demonstrate any cognitive dissonance with your environmental perspective? E.g. does your ecological footprint match your beliefs? Is there anything you must try to change?
    I consume a lot of the world’s resources and I have a massive carbon footprint which reflects cognitive dissonance, but overall I usually act in a sustainable way and do what I can, take the bus and MRT to decrease carbon emissions (however only when convenient, as I am lazy).

How might economic growth and environmental sustainability present contrasting viewpoints? Which do you believe to be more important?
    Economic growth is the process of creating and creation cost time money and resources that we don’t really have anymore. However, by growing economically we are losing harming the Earths environment. There is a battle between countries to constantly grow economically, therefore, causing all countries to attempt different method to increase their countries GDP and living standard. By increasing one we are decreasing the other.
    I believe that if the environment wasn’t in such bad shape both aspects would be equally important however due to how unsustainable the environment is now I think it is more important. That we should focus more time and effort into improving it.