Memoirs of the Pioneer Generation with Lion Befrienders 2

The actual experience of engaging with elderlies in the Lion Befrienders is more positive and successful than I expected. Different from other “elderly home” I have visited before, elderlies in Lion Befrienders do not have to live there and they just come to Lion Befrienders to make friends and have fun. Due to that, as all elderlies there are willing to be there, they are very open to our weekly visits and would like to chat with us. In my past experience with elderlies, being friend with them has not been that natural and easy.

I used one of the takeaways from my previous service which is that never position yourself as a saviour or helper. With the mind of making friend, I then become friend of some of the elderlies.  They have all sorts of life path, which reflects in their way of talking and reacting. Being the Pinnioor Generation of modern Singapore, they were born before the nation itself. Due to that, the majority of them are unable to speak English, which makes my ability to speak Mandarin useful. We usually play poker with them first to break the ice, but with our self-made simple rules. Along with the playing of the game, we then get the chance to listen to their stories. One thing I learned from their story is that there will always be ups and downs in one’s life, which are not avoidable. One of the really friendly-looking gentleman there was a gang leader in the past, he can now talk about his past in a normal and peaceful tone without proudness or regret. Doing the best thing with the best ability you have in that moment, that is the only way to really live a life.

LO3-Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience.

LO5-Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively.