Top Girls Angie Monologue

Angie:

She’s not my mum.

Why isn’t she?

But it’s not my fault!

……

I haven’t seen my dad in a long time, and mum says he will not come anymore, so I live with my mum. Only two of us. Kit is the only friend I have. She’s four years younger than me, but I think we get along quite well. She lives up the road of our house. We play together all the time. Mum is always quite aggressive and unstable. She would suddenly become angry at me, while I have done nothing wrong, and even Kit sees that a lot. I never knew why, until that day when Aunty Marlene came……

It had been six years since last time Aunty Marlene came to visit us, but I’m happy to see her again because she brought me lots of gifts, which my mum had never bought me, especially that pretty little dress. It was pink, my favorite color! How did she know this? I put it on, and it suited my perfectly well! I looked into the mirror and I found myself looking like Princess Aurora! But mum, again, didn’t like it. She didn’t seem excited at all! Not even when her own sister came. I didn’t know if she was unhappy because of Aunty Marlene’s arrival, or if it was just because of me.

Anyway. I loved my aunt, for giving me this pretty dress. Then Kit came, but that wasn’t a right time, because I still wanted to stay with my Aunty and listen to her experience in those years.

Mum and Aunty was talking all the time. I tried to engage into their conversations, but every time when I said something, Mum ignored me. Only Aunty Marlene would talk back to me. I really wanted to talk, but mum forced me to go back sleep while it was not even that late! She just didn’t want me to be around her. I got it. But I wouldn’t leave! I stayed, and listened.

That’s when I heard about the terrifying truths: My ‘mum’ is not my ‘mum’! My ‘aunty’ is! I remember her calling me ‘stupid, lazy and frightened’. I remember her angry tone when she revealed that she lost her baby because of taking care of me. She blames me for it! She thinks I’m the one who made her lost her baby! That’s why she treated me so badly! That’s why! SHE HATES ME!

What have I done? What have I done wrong? I don’t get it!

The only thing I know is: If she hates me, then I would hate her too! She’s a liar. I would never trust her!

I need to find my real mum.

So this is my plan: Kill Joyce. Go to New York. Find my real mum Marlene. And live with her.

She will be so happy when she sees me.

She will treat me as a treasure.

She will give me a lot of love.

Because I am her daughter.