Categories
ELP

Thinking about Singaporean Collective Identity

What might PM Lee mean by an ‘evolving identity’?

By ‘evolving identity’, I believe that PM Lee is referring to the unfixed nature of the Singaporean identity as a result of its rich secularity and heritage. Evolving implies change. From PM Lee’s speech, one can gather that he is talking about two distinct experiences: how mindsets have changed over time between generations, but also in terms of lots of migrants entering Singapore to work and becoming engrained into society. In terms of generational differences, PM Lee says that the younger generations are even closer to the Singaporean identity through having more formative, shared experiences like attending local schools, some going to NS, living in HDBs, etc. Older generations will have grown up in a different version of Singapore where Singapore was still trying to find its own unique identity after gaining independence. The sides of Singapore that they’ve seen have impacted their own individual Singaporean identity. On the other hand, PM Lee also refers to the modern day evolving identity in terms of immigration into Singapore. Lots of foreign workers little by little begin to ‘meld’ into the Singaporean identity as they spend more time in the country. Interestingly, PM Lee also raises the idea that the inherent experience of having lived in Singapore or abroad from your motherland can change your relationship with the culture. A person may still strongly identify with the label of being Tamil Nadu and with roots in India but return and be told that they aren’t exactly that anymore but a mix of different cultures; somewhere in between. Eventually, PM Lee conveys his belief that Singaporean culture is still going to continue to change as even more people come into Singapore and meld increasingly into society here.

The response refers to a collective Singaporean identity – what constitutes collective identity?

Collective identity refers to the shared experiences and journeys that link the community together. When PM Lee talks about collective identity in his speech, he refers a good deal to the formative circumstances that many young Singaporeans have undergone that connect them to one another. Said shared experiences include: attending national/local schools, for young men specifically, doing national service, growing up in HDBs, etc. Collective identity is about the shared traditions that Singaporeans celebrate and practice. Through these shared traditions, Singaporeans are brought closer together through similar upbringing and links in identity.

Which aspects of the response do you agree – or possibly disagree with?

I agree with a good chunk of PM Lee’s response. I liked the fact that he mixed his response with references to differences between the past and now, as well as how Singapore is only going to continue to evolve as it diversifies as a result of immigration.  The evolution of a collective identity is shaped by current and past experiences. Also, as a filipino who encounters lots of other Filipinos living in Singapore as well, there is comfort in having that shared identity. It is always relieving to know that there are people who share the same language and other cultural aspects who are also engrossed in the secular culture of Singapore. I’ve also experienced the other side of that experience that PM Lee refers to in his talk in terms of not exactly ‘fitting in’ with the other culture that you may still identify with after moving abroad. I definitely feel a slight difference in my filipino identity when I return home as a result of living in Singapore and also being a third culture kid going to an international school. I am still relatively connected as I know the language and am more or less caught up on what is going on there, but there is definitely a small barrier between myself and my filipino family and friends who have spent their whole lives in the country.

How does the dominant discourse of Singaporean collective national identity make use of the concept of home?

This is an interesting question. I think that the discourse over collective national identity makes use of the home concept to the best of its ability. One way is in that it reminds the community of the idea that they belong in Singapore. Regardless of their ethnicities and cultural heritage, it is adamantly upheld that all ethnicities belong under the Singaporean umbrella and play equal parts in society. It encourages unity and belonging.