Grade 11 April Paper 1: Notes

My Key Takeaways:

• Explore ideas in more detail – if the main focus of the advertisement is sustainability, expand on this
  • If possible, include more information regarding the context of the text
    • When/where was it published?
    • What was happening in the world at this time that can be linked to the text?
    • E.g 1947 – shortly after World War II and economic depression
    • What does the context tell us about the preferred audience?
  • Balance analysis of written and visual aspects if this is what the guiding question is about

Next Steps:

• In my next piece of analytical writing, I will focus more on thinking about where and when the text was published and whether or not this offers information about the message and intended audience of the text. If I know about the specific context, I want to integrate this in my essay to strengthen the points I am trying to make as at the moment I am finding that I am not doing this enough.
  • Next time, I intend on including more linguistic terms we have learnt in class in order to improve the quality of my language and express my ideas in a more sophisticated matter.
  • I will focus less on thinking of 3 main, bigger ideas which determine the structure of my essay. I now know that I don’t need to have 3 body paragraphs which consist of one big idea each. The text may present many more than 3 ideas.