ReACT #1

LO3 – Initiative

LO7-Recognise and consider the ethical implications of choices and actions.

LO6-Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance.

Before starting my NGO (Non-Profit Organisation) ReACT, I had been a part of Blue Dragon GC for one and a half years. Blue Dragon essentially helps those street kids in Vietnam, who have been associated with child trafficking. Last year, in Blue Dragon GC, we hosted a circus and arranged the annual trip for the Blue Dragon kids from Vietnam to Singapore. We also took various other initiatives that spread awareness within our community. These activities really inspired me to start my own NGO to help my community back home, in India, understand the seriousness of the issue of child trafficking. India has been a child trafficking hub for many years, whether it is sex trafficking of women or girls or it trafficking for child labour, it is has been a major issue in India. A lot of these vulnerable people aren’t aware of the issue of human trafficking at all. So in ReACT, I visit schools in rural parts of India and I teach them about the issue. Sometimes, for the younger kids, it is hard to explain them about the issue, so I use tools like theatre. Along with being a part of Blue Dragon, I have been an enthusiastic theatre student. I think it is more fun to learn anything if it is in the form of theatre, so with a little help, I have created scripts and I am using those to educate my younger audience-thus the name ‘ReACT.’ I hope that my small initiative expands in the future and I can continue this learning and teaching journey.