This was a powerful and very impactful talk that really left nothing obscured. It described in detail the process, emotions and hardships of sexual violence on women and the work done by Katie is truly admirable.

The most interesting takeaway for me was more the obscure answer to one question which related to how new changes in policy and social practice was effecting men. One comment that really threw me off was “Women have had to live with this fear for centuries… so maybe for men to have to sit with that discomfort for a little while isn’t so bad “. It shocks me that we can’t possibly see a better solution than throwing each-side into fear and hurt before coming to equilibrium. There has to be a solution where women aren’t given so much power that men have to worry and stress over every little action around women lest they be detained because she didn’t like the way he looked at her and now is accusing him of some sexual violation. these laws and policies are well intentioned, but they are swinging the power too much in favour of women.

Just like men no all women are angels and the possibility for some kind of manipulative ***** to come around and abuse these powers without consequences is something we have to consider. I find it unacceptable to have people fighting against all double standards and then create an exception to their ‘golden rule’ because it might speed up the process.

Otherwise I found the talk quite informative and it was interesting to hear how most women just wanted consolation and support, but did not wish to seek justice, revenge or retribution. Furthermore her myth busting of the gross popularisation that most rape or sexual violence occurs between strangers was a very vital piece of information that I don’t think many consider and is why women who have suffered find it hard to trust more people when it was that very trust that got them in the situation they were now in.